Friday, December 14, 2012

NIghtdreams and Daydreams

I haven't slept in three days. Not really slept anyway. I've gone to bed, but despite the fact that I'm exhausted and my entire face hurts from the effort of holding my eyes open, I can't slow my brain down enough to switch it off. This happens to me occasionally, as I'm sure it does to everyone. There are few things more frustrating than being drop-dead tired but unable to put your body to rest.


Yesterday I tried to compensate for my exhaustion with a natural supplement. Namely, caffeine. Before my 10 am work shift at Barnes and Noble (and after my 6:15 am work shift at FedEx), I bought myself a grande iced coffee from the B&N cafe. It was well-intended but may not have been the best choice. I think there comes a point of tiredness---especially for infrequent consumers like myself---where caffeine ceases to increase energy level and serves only to induce a kind of rapid-fire anxiety. My heart rate sky-rocketed; you'd think I were a murderer lying on a polygraph test, not a cashier working in a quiet bookstore, judging by the way my body was reacting. I really thought I might faint or black out. Simple tasks like counting change held all the nervosity of a high-stakes rescue operation. I'm not sure I'll try that one again.

Sleep deprivation and anxiety are never a fun combination, even without the added stimulus of caffeine. They often feed into each other, until it becomes nearly impossible to solve one without first solving the other. I don't sleep well, therefore I am anxious about my lack of sleep. I am anxious, therefore I don't sleep. It's a vicious cycle, and one with which I'm all-too familiar.


Strange thoughts dart in those twilight moments between consciousness and dreaming. Unarticulated fears, scene flashes from my day, fabricated images (such as me eating milkshakes in the mall, something which has not happened ever to my knowledge and yet which I caught myself thinking about the other night). I sat up in a panic several times last night convinced I had overslept my alarm, only to discover that it was only 1 am, 3 am, or 4 am. Time moves at an inconstant rate: though I feel my mind has never stopped whirling, somehow several hours pass in the course of 20 minutes. Restless black waters engulf my head. 

It is at times like these that I think of the lake. It is high in the mountains, in a small green valley dotted with white boulders. The water in the lake is warm, and though swimmers are refreshed by it, they never catch a chill. I am alone in the valley, floating on my back in the lake. The blue sky above me is very still, and there is not a sound besides the slight rippling of the waves. Though I put little effort into my strokes, my body stays buoyant, like how I imagine it would in the Dead Sea, except this water is fresh and clear.


 It is not quite accurate to say I am alone. Though I feel the total comfort one can only feel alone with one's own body, I also sense the presence of others---or another. It is both singular and multiple. I cannot see them, but I feel them hovering over me, filling the whole valley with their presence. I feel at once totally free, spreading my bare arms in the water around me, and totally safe, like a child tucked into a warm bed. I feel peace. 


During the nights when I can't sleep, when I can't shut off my mind, I force myself to think about this scene and only this scene. I put everything else in a mental folder and place it on a shelf, and tell myself I can come back to it later. But not now. 


This doesn't always help me sleep, at least not so far. But it does make me feel a little better and slow my heart rate. When I was having trouble with insomnia last spring, a friend of mine told me to imagine a beautiful place and then explore it. This is my own version of her advice.


(written Wednesday, December 12th)


No comments:

Post a Comment