Monday, September 17, 2012

A Scene From My Home This Evening

My father to my dramatic twelve-year-old sister: Honey, you really need to go upstairs and do your homework now. It's too distracting for you down here.

Sister (suddenly upset): No, I can't study by myself! I hate that. It's too lonely.

Father: Well, eventually you're going to need to study alone. What are you going to do when we're dead and gone and you're in grad school?

Sister (looking aghast): That's mean!

Father: How is that mean?

Sister: Grad school is for people who can't get jobs! (Storms upstairs to her room.)

It took much persuading to convince my sister that my dad had not, in fact, attempted to insult her. Where is she getting her information? And is she right? I, for one, am a wee bit jealous of my college friends who get to spend another couple years delaying their entry into the world of mediocre jobs and student loans and terrifying amounts of free time. Grad school provides direction. Now I have to create my own.

I'm still deciding if I like this.

1 comment: