Sunday, September 30, 2012

Adult Children

Today after church I went to a lunch reception for a friend of mine who is a missionary in Thailand. There wasn't enough room at our table for all of my family plus the two other families who had joined us, so my mom said, "Well, how about this? The grownups can just move to another table and you guys can stay here." By "grown-ups" she did not mean me or my fellow twenty-two-year-old friend. Somehow we still got lumped in with the twelve-year-olds at the kid table.

"Yeah," I said, as they got up to leave. "Because Bethany and I aren't grown-ups so that would make sense."

My mom caught the sarcasm and apologized. We laughed it off. But the comment still irked me. Even though I know my mom meant nothing by it, even though I know she acknowledges that I am an adult and usually treats me as one, I felt undervalued. It's hard to be mature when maturity is not expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment