Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Life's Mantra


I have this taped to the mirror in my room, on a sticky note on my laptop desktop, and on a piece of paper I use as a bookmark. I read it several times a day. I have it memorized. I send it everyone I know who I think will appreciate it. For this season, it's my life mantra.

"How many gifts from God will justify trust and thanks? Are the pressures of life stronger than the call to be wise? Show me an adult with the courage to fear differently. Were college loans and healthcare costs and rent and singleness intimidating? Yes. Would fear of these things be the source of my life's intention? Oh no. I'll get a job. And I won't hate it. I'll pursue health, and I won't begrudge the maintenance. I will be in the company of fellow shadowaries and not be underwhelmed. No one will notice me and no one will tell me what to do next, and I won't feel passed over. I decided it, that year, with resolve."
- taken from Prof. Leah Samuelson's chapel message, Wheaton College, February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment