Friday, September 28, 2012

Observations from the Detroit Airport


There are people crying here. A surprising number, although maybe it shouldn't be surprising because airports are stressful places. I've cried in an airport before, more than once.

A lot of classy-looking business people. Men in suits. Women in pencil skirts and heels. Lots of heels. I don't quite understand this. The women look awkward, like top-heavy storks, as they pull along their suitcases.

A middle-aged woman in floral next to me complains about layovers and how she'd always rather pay extra on a ticket to avoid them. Such a hassle and waste of time. This is a foreign concept to me. I can't image paying more for the convenience of anything right now; that habit has been beaten out of me after four years of college tuition and no spare change. I'm flying to Connecticut from Detroit, but I have a layover in Chicago, which means I go directly west before going directly back east. I also don't get in to Hartford until midnight. About as inconvenient as you can get. But it was the cheapest ticket, so of course I bought it. I didn't even consider otherwise.

I watch a tall man with a cane check his luggage. He is wearing a gray sweatsuit that matches his facial hair, and I decide I like him.

There are a lot of those little carry-on suitcases with four wheels that glide across the floor with a soft buzzing sound. The softer the buzz, the more important you are. Briefcases seem to be made now with a zipper that allows them to slide down the handle of these carry-ons, securing them firmly on the top. It is the look. Those who have it appear self-important. They know they look professional. They do this all the time, fly. It's just business.

I have to wait for three hours in front of the luggage check in a black leather chair because you can't check your bags until at most four hours before your flight leaves. Yes, that is how early I am to the airport. Another example of how cost trumps convenience. This was the only time I could get a ride to the airport, which is two hours from my house. (There is a closer airport, but it is smaller and too expensive for me.) Time is the one commodity I have more than enough of.

There are lots of iphones and ipads out. People sitting, looking busy, alone.

A girl, probably about my age, has just walked past, doing a poor job of concealing the fact that she is crying. Two women next to me get up. “You look like you need a hug,” one says. The girl nods. They each give her one. She says something to explain her tears which I can't hear, although I think it has to do with her boyfriend. The girl and the women do not know each other. The women sit back down and the girl continues on her way, anxiously chewing the straw of her fountain drink. I want to be like those women someday, able to give a hug to anyone who needs one.

As soon as I check my bags, I am going to need a long walk. Sitting too long with a laptop on one's legs causes them to fall asleep. There is a security officer riding his bike through the terminal. That looks like I fun. I want to do that.

An old woman with hairpins has come to pick up her sister. Her sister is old also and cannot walk well, but she refuses to use a wheelchair. “So stubborn,” the woman says. “I don't understand why some people can't just accept help.” Another woman to her right nods in agreement.

Fifteen more minutes until I can check my bag. Good thing, too, because I have to go to the bathroom, and wheeling both of these monstrous red things through the bathroom door is a pain in the neck. Of course I'm not allowed to leave them unattended. Otherwise they might think I'm a terrorist.

A woman in a black suit has black spiked hair and wears too much blue eye shadow.

Later, once I'm at my gate, a Navy officer (or some such other military person—I can't tell, but he's decked out in lots of medals and badges) sits next to me. I hear a familiar tune that reminds me of long childhood car trips and look over to see him playing Mario Bros on his Nintendo. Across from me a man with long gray hair and loafers eats McDonald's fries and talks to his business partner on the phone. The fries look good, but I hate buying food in airports. Money—once again.

(Now the Navy officer is reading a book. It is entitled The Blinding Knife, and the bookmark is a card from one of those Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh/Magic games.)

On my first flight I sit next to a guy named Damion who is in a philosophy doctorate program at the University of Michigan and started a conversation with me because he saw my Margaret Attwood book. Also possibly because he thought I was cute. I like to flatter myself sometimes with such thoughts. He has black-rimmed plastic glasses, big eyes, and wears a striped sweater. Classic academia.

Damion tells me about his philosophy studies and I nod my head and pretend to understand because I get the impression he thinks I'm intelligent and I don't want to disappoint him. He loves the fact that I'm writing a novel and read good literature. We talk about Raymond Carver and Hemmingway and Steinbeck. I hope the man on the other side of me is listening. I hope he thinks we're smart. When Damion asks me to join him for a quick bite to eat after we land before our connecting flights, I feel a little uncomfortable because he doesn't know I have a boyfriend. And maybe he doesn't care? But it's too late now.

Before we part, Damion gives me his card and tells me to send him a link to my blog. I think to myself, shoot, now people are really reading it, and it had better actually be good. I wonder if there are any previous posts I should delete. I also remember how he strategically asked about my last name. Even if I don't email him the link, he'll probably be able to find it online.

Between flights, at gate B9, the smell of McDonald's is overwhelming. All food from McDonald's, no matter what you order, milkshake or hamburger, smells exactly the same. In a soothing tone, a woman's voice repeats over and over, “The moving walkway is ending.” Once every three seconds. Until it is no longer soothing. But no matter where I sit at this gate, I can hear her.

A woman with a small brown dog watches TV and strokes the dog's neck. The dog looks embarrassed, if that's possible. Like it doesn't want anyone to see it being pampered by this heavy woman with sparkling earrings and leopard print flats. I wonder the story behind this dog. I wonder if this dog is the woman's best friend and if she's afraid to leave it home alone or at a kennel. I wonder what she does if it has to go to the bathroom in the airport or on the plane. Does it pee in its little carrier bag? Does she hold it over a toilet?

On my second flight, the man next to me is happy I asked to take the middle seat between him and a skinny man in a track jacket. “I'm just glad a tiny person like you is sitting there. I was worried that mad gab on the phone was going to ask. Did you see her?” I tell him not to worry, I'm quiet. He says, “That's not what I mean. You know what I mean.” I do know what he means. He thinks she's fat and annoying. This phone lady walks by a minute later, chatting about the number of carry-ons. My plane buddy turns to me. “See?” he says scornfully. I do not like this man. He is mean, and he wants me to be mean with him. When a woman with large breasts walks by, he stares at her chest. Actually, I'm not totally sure that he does so, but it appears that way, and I look at him intentionally, expecting him to. It will only further justify my negative opinion on him. During the flight, he pays the $5 for wifi so he can play with his ipad. He orders a vodka tonic. I knew he was going to.

Myself, I play solitaire on my laptop. I don't have a very good win percentage, but I swear I'm getting dealt bad hands. I play probably eight games and don't win a single one.

No comments:

Post a Comment